Monday, January 11, 2010

Creative Inspire 100111

Yo, I think this one is my favorite one yet! I'm moved by this on so many levels I can't even explain it, but I'll do my best. I found this yesterday and was blown away. I love graffiti and still stay involved in the art form, I love open source software and the new directions I see it take everyday and I love the freedom to express one's self creatively. This story combines all of these things together.

A collaborative effort from the people at Free Art and Technology (FAT), OpenFrameworks, the Graffiti Research Lab, The Ebeling Group,the Not Impossible Foundation and Parsons Communication Design & Technology have come up with open source software that can be used in combination with some low budget DIY hardware, that allows people to draw with only the use of their eyes.

These guys teamed up with Tony Quan, a graffiti writer from L.A. who goes by TEMPTONE. TEMPT was diagnosed with ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease, in '03. The disease took away nearly all of his mobility except for the movement of his eyes. With the use of this new technology TEMP is able to continue doing the art work he loves.

Watch this and tell me you don't feel uplifted.




Big ups to everyone involved in this project and keep doing your thing.

To see TEMPTONE's latest work check out http://fffff.at/tempt1/photos/eyetags/ where he uploads his latest tags.

To lean more about this story check out:
www.eyewriter.org

Ryan Snider
www.heshouldworkforme.com

No comments:

Post a Comment